Search This Blog

Sunday, September 25, 2011

You gotta be in it to win it!

My only red card this weekend came on the Malvern side in the any other vegetable class where I staged a single Sandrine lettuce.

At 2am I dug this plant up, gave the roots a quick blast with the hosepipe (sorry neighbours!) and threw it in the car. At the showground it was the first thing out of the car but because i'd already seen it was a very popular class I thought I won't bother staging it so just threw it on the grass by the car.

At the last moment I thought sod it i'll chuck it in, staging it with the roots in a jamjar of water. And I was rewarded with a red card which was a total surprise. Steward Colin Higgs (another top bloke) said judge Charlie Maisey thought it was faultless.

So it just goes to show that unless you put it on the bench you'll never win. If you've gone to the trouble of growing it, preparing it, then travelling with it you have nothing to lose by staging it.

If I hadn't I wouldn't be Midland lettuce champion now would I?

5 comments:

pies said...

Have we got to put up with midland lettuce champ for 12 months

Unknown said...

MLC mouthy little c**t
has a certain ring to it

Dan said...

MLC....Quality !
1st prize everytime.
Now Lettuce see what you could have won.
All hail the Salad God !

Richard W. said...

Well done Simon. I never even considered lettuce. My loss, perhaps.

Paul, that's a cracker! LOL!!!

Annette said...

So true, we staged some sweet peppers, large onions, shallots,aubergines,cauliflowers, at malvern, this was our first time showing there and didn't expected to win anything. We came away with one 1st and three 3rds .