Search This Blog

Monday, September 19, 2011

Farcical and evil

With the Scottish Branch also holding their Championships over the weekend I've heard of several cases where people have had their produce stolen at the show breakdowns when the shout goes up that you can collect your stuff. This follows on from Llangollen where top showman Andrew Jones had one of his large exhibition onions swiped by a fellow exhibitor. This has got to be the lowest of the low, the perpetrator no doubt intending to seed his strain of onion for his/her won ends. At the weekend at Harrogate the 'uplift' descended into farce as several exhibitors had to have a tug-of-war as members of the public tried to swipe whatever they could get their hands on. When you have produce spread across a large venue you don't have a chance sometimes and at Malvern last year I had some Vento onions stolen. I always make sure I guard my shallots and Leesa will stand by something else but you cannot cover all bases.

It's about time the large show organisers emptied the hall/marquee and only allowed the exhibitors back in on presentation of a pass. We were actually given passes at Harrogate but never asked for them so what the hell is the point of doing it? It just descends into a free for all and several people lost veg. Dan lost a good stump carrot from his collection and in Scotland Ian Stocks lost his winning peas. In Scotland, as at Harrogate it can only have been a so-called 'fellow exhibitor'. Most of these guys will happily help you out with seed if you ask them nicely so why steal?

I'm dreading the Malvern breakdown because it's such a large venue that you have produce spread over a much larger area. I complained last year to Three Counties but never even got the decency of a reply. Shrewsbury Show has been blighted by this problem for many years despite Medwyn going public in GN about it. If I see any exhibitor swiping veg that does not belong to him/her I will have no hesitation in naming and shaming them on here. If necessary I am prepared to trade punches with anyone stupid enough to stand up to me. I'm a nasty little fucker when I need to be. You have been warned you scumbuckets.

13 comments:

mistyhorizon2003 said...

Wow, that is terrible, hard to believe people would be so devious, underhanded and competitive as stoop so low. I take it this is mainly a problem at the large shows as opposed to those at local level!

Unknown said...

I am with you on this one Simon, it is pointless issuing uplift tickets and not asking for them when collecting exhibits. Linda had to tackle a couple of people who were taking other peoples exhibits it is the worst thing about showing.I caught someone taking my giant marrow which i had promised to my local veg shop when challenged they just took another one.Misty it happens at all shows

Dan said...

I think the problem stems from the flower show part.(no pun intended)
When I was being held back by a little jobsworth security tosser until 5pm to drive my car closer than the mile from the veg hall I was,I saw countless women walking past with armfulls of flower exhibits.
So they must allow them to take the flowers earlier,and they probably think they can do the same with the veg.
Next time I'm gonna gather all my stuff together,cover it with a sheet and ask one of the officious little shit security numpties to guard it whilst I get on the bus and then drive my car to the car park I should have been allowed into in the first place.

mistyhorizon2003 said...

It doesn't happen here Paul, but we only have a small show really, and most people allow their veg to be auctioned off at the end of the show to boost the kitty for next years show. Those that do choose to take their veg home still find them in place though.

rayden said...

we are with you there on this issue Simon, we all leave things for the show to auction or whatever for charity if they want some veg, but when you have something you want to keep for seed or show again at another show it is so bad when people just help themselves and for it to be another exhibitor is just appalling!! this year at shrewsbury a couple of the stewards were doing their best but but as you say the area is too big, they need to clear the tents.

rayden said...

Dan you have made a very valid point about the parking!!! it is very bad at some shows, the powers that be want to try carrying all the veg we have put on for them to make a show, without us there would be nothing to look at!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you also Simon, the best method I've seen is at the National POT LEEK were the stewards clear the area put tables across to stop people getting near the exhibits.Then the exhibitors hand over there lifting ticket and given there exhibit, bear in mind some exhibitors show in four different classes.

Dan said...

Totally agree,even just a simple rope or even a piece of string with a sign saying Exhibitors only after 5PM strung up inbetween the rows would stop the public pilfering.

Richard W. said...

What's needed is a Security Consultant to analyse the problem.

Looks like a job for Super Bastow.

In all seriousness, I've not heard of this problem in this area, but doesn't it say a lot about how attitudes have changed. What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine.

Anonymous said...

I struggle to believe we would do that to each other
That's hardly in the spirit of things or even sportsmanship
Surely it's not the hard core and only the wannabe's
Not matter how desperate I got, I could never takes someone else's stuff so that I could beat them next year. I could never be satisfied I won fairly.
Didn't hear of it at the Southern but by the sounds of it, it is no where as big as what you have described

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Sadly it is happening and far too often. I shall be eagled eyed at Malvern but it will happen and there's not a lot we can do except complain to the organisers.

Ciderman said...

I had a marrow taken at welsh championships,one of a pair.If only they had asked i would have happily shoved the other one up their arse.

Anonymous said...

At shrewsbury this year it was the public stealing the stuff, including placement cards and one chap even had his basket/trug stolen. Part of the problem is they allow selling of surplus stuff and a scrum ensues. They have promised to stop that in 2012.

I 100% agree with Simon, the hall/marquee should be emptied and only exhibitors with badges (2 badges per exhibitor so partner can accompany)