Search This Blog

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Seagrave 2011

I never cease to be amazed by the residents of this small village as they bid silly money for each lot at the after show auction. I've been attending this show for over 15 years now and whilst the flower exhibits were understandably down this year it was still a quality show and a privilege to help Kay Bint organise it.

It's a few years since I managed to win most points in show but I finally cracked it this year thanks to 12 wins. I also won best exhibit in show for the very first time with my Top Tray entry. My Sweet Candle are getting better with each passing week.






























In a moment of huge controversy I also picked up a bonus win in the fruit cake class beating many women, including my wife into third place. In a particularly squalid case of sour grapes she complained that my cake was burnt! I mean....honestly! If I was fairly beaten I pray I'd show a little more decorum and accept defeat with good grace!



Errrr...you still ok to do me a trug for Harrogate this weekend my darling?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Getting apprehensive now, Smithy---what's the length of those Carrots?.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Not sure....runner beans were 15" so 10" I guess?

Capn' Spoon said...

I hope Stevie Wonder managed to get home safely after he'd finished judging.

Richard W. said...

I'm sure your devoted blog followers would all agree that you should have easily won the fruit cake class without going near an oven........

Anonymous said...

On the Malvern show schedule, it asks for entries by first post 14th Sept, but NVS website says entries close 17th Sept. Anyone know which is correct, please?.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Careful.....there are two shows!

The NVS Midland Championships open to NVS members only and the Malvern Championships, open to allcomers, both shows running on different sides of a huge marquee.

Anonymous said...

The judges word is final and I accept defeat (although I still maintain your cake is burnt)!

Now that you are the superior cook in the household what's for dinner darling!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for show info, Smithy.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

According to my schedules closing dates are:

14th Sept for NVS Midlands

15th Sept for Malvern