Search This Blog

Friday, September 23, 2011

Malvern countdown

A year ago I was preparing marrows, globe beetroot, cherry tomatoes, sweet peppers and medium tomatoes in the hope of getting a ticket in the novice class at Malvern. I think it says a lot for the improvement I (and indeed my blogging pals) have made in that I am now preparing long carrots, leeks, potatoes and celery for this year's show. I think we're all currently 'bubbling under' as the saying goes. The thing is I know I don't have an earthly of getting in the tickets in most classes and yet they are some of the best veg I have ever grown. Just getting the stuff on the benches and not looking out of place is reward enough for me at the moment. When I compare my veg now to only a couple of years ago there's no comparison and a lot of it is down to the daily advice I can call upon via the NVS online forum. You can't put a price on good advice from guys who have been there and done it.

All you can hope to do is keep improving and one day I'm fairly sure I'll get there at National level but for now it's a case of listening to and learning from the best in the land, keeping an open mind and adapting their ideas and methods to suit your own situation. In the meantime remember it is just a hobby and if you don't get any enjoyment from it, just stress and upset, then it really aint worth doing. Getting tickets is nice, but making lifelong friendships and getting the best possible experience out of your growing is way more important.

A year ago I genuinely had a sneaking suspicion my tomatoes would be there or thereabouts. This year? Well I'm very happy with how my celery looks. But I know Malvern always has great celery so I shan't get carried away. I've downloaded a Blogger app on my phone so I should be able to post pictures from the showground this year. Malvern is a superb day out so if you're going make sure you get there early as there is so much to see, do and buy! If you notice me in the veg marquee please make yourselves known to me, poke me or smack me in the mouth, whichever you feel most comfortable with.

8 comments:

Pete said...

Good luck Simon.

Richard W. said...

100% agree regarding the advice and encouragement that is so freely given by fellow bloggers and, as Simon so rightly highlights, the good folk on the NVS Forum.

We may relentlessly take the p*ss out of each other for 70% of the year, but for the other 30%, seriousness is the order of the day and is hugely valuable whether one grows to show or just grows to eat.

Good luck at Malvern.

Ro in Ireland said...

Good luck there and don't forget some photos! Cheers

mistyhorizon2003 said...

Good luck Simon, looking forward to seeing the pictures :)

Marcus said...

I have entered toms in the novice this year Simon and also in the medium toms class. I've also entered the marrows. This is my first major show so over and above entering i'm just going to gobble up the atmosphere and hopefully make a few new friends.

Pies said...

Simon you're one of those that give advice and i thank you for that. Best of luck at Malvern and have a great day

Unknown said...

Good luck smiff

Dan vader said...

Good luck tomorrow.
May the fourth be with you !