Search This Blog

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Celt invasion

I don't think there's any doubt that the best growers in Britain at the moment currently reside north of the border. I got to Harrogate at roughly the same time as Ian Simpson of Fife yesterday and he certainly created quite a buzz when he staged his carrots in the National Carrot Championships. They were heavy a long way down and well matched, and of course he's grown good stumps for a while now, winning the NATIONAL a few times. I reckon he is now on a par with Graham Watson's long carrots from a couple of season's ago.



















In a disappointing display of WAG solidarity his partner Fiona reckoned my fruit cake last week was burnt! Pssh!

Best in Show however went to Bob Lind's leeks which made me realise how much work I have yet to do if my collection leek was worth 14 points. These were truly stunning and followed on from Eric Craik's win in the NATIONAL.

If Alistair Gray ever starts travelling south to other branch shows we're all screwed!

11 comments:

David said...

The cake was bronzed not burnt! lol
They really are stunning veg though. How do you feel Blicky's carrots would have faired

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

There's no way of knowing unless you put them in and compare. But they have to be heavy all the way down, long and blemish free to stand any chance.

I have a long way to go and i've been doing it for over 15 years.

But even if you don't win anything you'll have made new friends to last you a lifetime.

Anonymous said...

Carrot Sweet Candle. Defeated the fly and disease, got the length and colour, and this is the 23rd week from sowing. First three pulled, pointed ends and no stump, and minimal tap roots. Frustrating.
Two lots grown in sand, with the cup to concentrate water at the top, third lot in the mixture without sand,and with no cup?.
Any tips re developing the stump and tap root, please?.

Richard W. said...

I understood 'Sweet Candle' needed at least 24 weeks to develope the stump end???????

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic set of Long Carrots
I also though Ian Stocks Long Carrots looked fantastic
I know the direction I need to be heading to be able to compete with these legends

mistyhorizon2003 said...

I grew my Sweet Candle in sand for 25 weeks, and still only got one out about 30 that started to develop a stump root. I entered that one with two of the pointy ones in our local show and still got first place :)

mistyhorizon2003 said...

Re-the burnt cake. Growing up my mum had a terrible habit of burning our toast. As she should over the sink frantically scraping it with a knife to remove the burnt bits she would rebut our protests that it was 'burnt', by saying 'It isn't burnt, it's well browned'.
Happy Days Sigh!

mistyhorizon2003 said...

LOL, that last comment should have read 'As she stood over the sink' NOT 'As she should over the sink'

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Not sure why your Sweet Candle hasn't stumped up. 22 weeks is said to be the norm although I had fairly good stumps after 19 for the National. Perhaps the beds were a little dry and the root is still going down searching for moisture?

Anonymous said...

I think you are probably right---filling the cups with water looked O.K, but I reckon the sand did not get enough moisture.
Shall have another go next year.
Thanks for the comments.

Ian S said...

Sweet Candle has always taken around 19 -20 weeks with me. If you are growing under cover you have to pile the water in - I probably water on average every second day right to they are pulled - the lack of stump is simply the carrot not being mature - which depends on time,conditions and water. Hate to upset you Mr S but I think that Alistair may just venture to Malvern next year!!