Search This Blog

Sunday, September 04, 2011

Sutton Bonington Show 2011

This is my local show and the one I'm most involved with being on the committee and arranging the programme of talks each year, so I like to put in plenty of entries across the range of categories. And believe it or not at 5a.m. yesterday I was to be found in the kitchen cooking! I was determined to get a ticket in the 'men only' rock cakes class, after 11 years of complete an utter failure...not even a third. This year I was armed with a surefire recipe from Ian Simpson and Fiona Shenfield of Scottishland. However, my first attempt went something like this!















Not to be defeated I quickly knocked up another mix and didn't leave them in the oven quite so long this time. The result was a lot better, but I still didn't win anything yet again!. So it appears not only do the Scots send me 2nd rate peas they also send me duff recipes too! To be fair the judge was wavering between mine and another plate for the third place ticket so I really must have been 4th which is as near as I've ever got. There's always next year!




















As I say, I put a shedload of entries in each year and my car is absolutely packed to the gunnels, even the passenger seat is loaded with my flower exhibits. I have various contraptions for making sure they are secure for the trip but it's still a very slow journey as I try to ensure none of my dahlias snap during transit.



















As for the show I got 21 red cards, mainly in the veg classes, but I also picked up bonus wins with dahlias and cacti. For the 10th time I won most points in show and this year it was television's Midlands Today presenter Dominic Heale who did the honours with the prizegiving. Thoroughly bloody nice chap.




















I got best veg for my long carrots which was a very nice change after a few iffy years and I've got plenty of equally good, if not better ones to come. I reckon I may put this one down to seed. And no....before any other tits apart from Unsworth ask those are not my footprints on the fridge!




















As usual Leesa managed to construct a superb trug for me. Thankyou my dearest! We even managed to fool the judge by using one of the leeks that had gone to seed and was actually oval in profile section.




















This year was the 25th Show and it's a big country fair these days attracting thousands of visitors, so there's plenty to see and do, including the dodgems at which I was particularly skilful and wily. My neck should recover by the end of the week I'm told. Bloody kids came from nowhere!

8 comments:

Dan said...

Well I have to admit today that I won best beans in class thanks to your patented bean straightening technique.
Good on you !
And I'm glad to see you've found a car to drive which you can actually reach the pedals in.....

Anonymous said...

How's Harlequin been performing in the cherry tomato classes, around the shows ?.

paul said...

Nice long carrot Simon.

Unknown said...

Well done did the trug win?

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Dan....bollocks!

Anonymous....not shown any yet but they're prolific croppers and very tasty.

Paul....thanks. If only i'd had 4 more like it for Llangollen!

Paul......yes the trug won but there was only one other in the class. Still, it was good practice for Leesa as she needs to up her game for Malvern this year.

Ian S said...

Mr Smith - I am sure that you would expect a wee bit of ridicule for making rock cakes from me - however as I also won a major show with tablet I cannot stoop to such low heights - I can only congratulate you on your attempts at culinary exhibition. However considering I won with culinary delights and you weren`t in the tickets,my peas were in the tickets at Malvern when yours were still in the house - when are you actually going to grow or cook something that will give you the tiniest chance of beating a Scotsman at something???

Anonymous said...

The long carrot looks good, if you have some to match, shame they weren't ready for the National or you may have shaken things up a bit

C3PO said...

Your legs look about 12" long