Search This Blog

Thursday, September 15, 2011

10-9-8-7-6........

Eee I allus feel reet gid afta a rant tha kno's, now av git te wash me kerrits in't bath, ecky thump.




As you can see I've started practising speaking northern gibberish so that I can converse with the natives in a few hours time. I pulled my carrots and parsnips for Harrogate last night and in truth I was more than a little disappointed with the results. The stump bed that I've already pulled some crackers from suddenly decided it was going to throw out a right mish mash of shapes and sizes. It took me 25 pulls to come up with two sets of 3, meaning I've left myself with only about 40 to cover Malvern, Westminster and Derby.



My long carrots were nice and clean, and quite long but didn't have the weight I was hoping for, but I shall be happy to stage them for their condition if nothing else, and that's the main thing with all show veg.

Despite sterilising my sand and putting weed suppressant membrane down I still had a few spots of canker on my parsnips and struggled to find one without any marks for the 6x1 class. It's a shame because I've pulled some real crackers in every other respect and would have considered putting a set of 3 up at Malvern next weekend if they'd all been clean. I think I shall have to invest in some JET 5 next season which I'm told will not only sterilise all canker out of your sand it will also burn a hole through to the centre of the Earth. My grandchildrens' future is a small price to pay for blemish free parsnips.



I'm off home now to start several hours of washing, prepping, bagging, packing and loading. The banter has reached a crescendo between myself and Messrs Unsworth and Bastow on Facebook/text/email in recent days as we each try to get last minute digs in but now the time has come to shut up and put the veg on the benches. I shall be leaving home around 2am for the 100 mile drive up the M1/A1 to stage my few entries, but mainly for the 6x1 class. This has been a lot of fun. May the best man win.



Results will be shown on here during the course of tomorrow morning.

The recriminations will start shortly after.

We will all be pissed by lunchtime.

10 comments:

Dan said...

Mines all staged and it looks shit !
Mr B's will take some beating me thinks.
If I get 40/120 ill be happy with a green kestrel,a knobbly pea and a tomato with a calyx like a dead spider.
Sithee tomorra for the incessant piss taking.

stig said...

i hope the northen lads take the lot would of cum and looked but we have a big show up here gud luck to every one i had to hire a hiab wagon to lift my onion last week did not even get placed as for the pot leeks that broke the record were yorkshire giants he is showing this week at the pot leek society the word on the street he is selling leeks at £80 a dozen ill let yous no how he does

Tales of Plot 39 said...

Good luck to you all .You boys want to make me do the shows next year is the time.

Tales of Plot 39 said...

Good luck to you all . Dan am sure your onions will see the cards.

Unknown said...

Good luck smiffy I would say its going to be pretty even there's some good stuff being staged, will you be around tomorrow ?

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Just sat having breakfast waiting for judging to finish.

I'll be here most of the day probably.

Anonymous said...

Who won then?

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Modesty prevents.........



.......MEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Well done fella . Get some pics up.

mistyhorizon2003 said...

Well done Simon :)