Search This Blog

Monday, September 19, 2011

Let's have a look at what you could have won!

After only my 4th NVS show I feel a bit like an old hand now such is the friendship i've experienced at the highest level already. It really has been another top weekend and I'm already looking forward to meeting up with the gang again at Malvern next weekend. Aside from the Bullshit Bloggers Challenge which I won in magnificent style I had the following results;

I came 8th in the National Carrot Championships out of a dozen entries, typically just outside the sodding money! My entry is on the right next to Dave Thornton's 5th placed exhibit. His stumps were truly shocking but his long carrots were quite good I suppose!


My best placing was 2nd for these Sandrine lettuce, the roots having to be washed and placed into a jar of water. Returning to the show today I noticed that everyone else's lettuces had wilted and mine still looked as fresh as they did Friday morning.


I got 3rd in a mini-collection for 4 veg with a points value of 16 or under. I staged 3 Sandrine lettuce, 3 Pablo beet, 3 onions under 250g 'Setton' and 6 pickling shallots 'Hative de Niort'.


And at least I was beaten by one fellow blogger this weekend, James Park (Digtoplant) showing the Yorkshire bumboys how to do it with a 2nd placed trug (top of the photo) beating me into third( below it). This was actually Leesa's fault as she did the design work and threw it together on Friday night in about 10minutes. I really am getting sick to death of coming third with trugs so I'm hoping she pulls her bleeding finger out at Malvern next weekend.



There was quite a lot to see at Harrogate although it's nowhere near the size of Malvern. Pick of the exhibits for me was this stunning display of dahlias by Kent Dahlia Society I believe.



So that's Harrogate over with and I'll certainly be back. It's a long drive (they need to sort that exhibitor parking issue out!.......and also stop the thieving bastards nicking your stuff at the end!) but I earned 44 quid from a second and two thirds! Certainly beats breaking your neck at local shows, and  getting a shed load of tickets for 20-30 quid!

So tonight I treated myself to a couple of bottles of my favourite tipple Snecklifter, Cockermouth's finest. It's certainly wasted on Cumbrian Jim Bowen looky likeys. Super smashing great.





5 comments:

North England Chilli Champion said...

Erm,I think you were beaten by another blogger in the Tap Root Collection.
But as you turned your name card back over so as not to reveal your name in shame at coming last no body knew......
Did you nick my carrot out of sheer spite ?

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

You can't count that class as I wasn't trying! Lol

So you had something nicked too?

Anonymous said...

10 minutes! I wish! Anyway strike action is on the cards until I get my winnings that disappeared into your pocket rather swiftly!

mistyhorizon2003 said...

Do people really 'nick' the vegetables.. why? Is it so they can use them to improve their own sets for other shows?

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Darling.....I have referred our little dispute to ACAS who will adjudicate in November. In the meantime carry on working as normal or you will be in breach of your marriage contract and liable to be sacked for a younger and frankly more creative model!

Cindy....see next posting.