Search This Blog

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Long carrots in pipes

Back in the Spring I set up some 4' pipes on my greenhouse border soil with the intention of growing some long carrots for a local show in July. However, when the time came the foliage was so strong and lush that I decided to let them carry on growing to see what turned out come the main show season. I pulled some stump carrots 'Caradec' for the July show instead.

At the weekend I finally exhibited these long carrots at Seagrave, winning with some stocky specimens that were a little bit lacking in uniformity and were a bit rough towards the bottom of the root. This roughness was down to the watering, or rather lack of it from July onwards when I really left them to their own devices. The top 18" were a good condition, but then there were many side roots as the plant sent out secondary roots in search of moisture. I plucked these off so that each carrot appeared to be one long root but you could clearly see where I had done this. However, they were good enough to win a village show and I think it's an experiment I will replicate next year and try to do a better job with the watering to get better roots ultimately.



.

1 comment:

Richard W. said...

Simon's photo highlights what a massive difference, in terms of quality, there is between entries in a local village show and 'the highest level'. That, alone, should be enough to encourage many more to visit the smaller shows and have a go, just for the sheer fun of it, if nothing else.

Having seen Simon's produce at Westminster last year, I know what he's capable of.