Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Malvern 2009....Smithyveg enters at last!!! And gets a bloody nose!

Here are some of my Malvern exhibits from the weekend.









Quite how they judge the tomato class and come to a 1-2-3 is beyond me. I think 10 different judges would have arrived at different decisions, and I'm convinced my own humble entry (middle right....the ones spaced apart!) was far from out of contention. One problem I have at this time of year is the calyx turning yellow rather than looking fresh and green. Talking to Dave Thornton afterwards he reckoned that legendary tomato king Charlie Maisey's recommended feed of soot water will combat this. So if any of you have a small dispensible child that you can send up a chimney to get me some soot I would appreciate it.


Just for Dan's benefit here is the winning entry in the max. 1500g onions class. I've seen his onions on his 'allotment diary' and feel sure they would have walked this class and won the £1.3million prize money. Pity about that. Next year it's being reduced to 50 quid ! That's life!

This is an overview of the 8oz onions class, with my own set being 2nd up from the bottom RH side....again not disgraced. In a rare complimentary moment Dave said the uniformity on them was 'spot on'. I think he was feeling ill.

No comments: