Search This Blog

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Parsnip canker

Pinnacle is supposed to be one of the more canker resistant parsnip varieties but I’ve had it with a vengeance this season. Virtually every root I’ve pulled up has had it to some extent although I have managed to clean a lot of it off with the rough side of a scouring pad if it hasn’t gone too deep. According to Dave Thornton of the NVS it starts as yellow spots on the leaves and then the spores get washed into the growing medium and hence works its way into the root from the crown downwards. The only surefire way to combat it is to grow them under cover so it looks as if I shall have to erect some form of enviromesh barrier in time for next season. Some people suggest that it can be carried on the actual seed casing so I must try and soak them in a fungicide next season also.

I’ve won at Leicester, Seagrave, Sutton Bonington and Sileby but could never have considered showing them at a higher level as I could have last season. Perhaps I just got lucky last season, but I had toyed with the thought of showing parsnips at NVS Branch level this season. Maybe next year?"



My winning set at Sileby.....





...and Seagrave.

2 comments:

Veg4Show said...

I have the same problem this year on pinnacle and gladiator.

I have 1 parsnip that is near black. I pulled some really big ones last night that i was hoping to show last weekend but I didn't go, they also had signs of canker.

I will also be making a cage around mine as I suffer from really bad spidermite.

So once you have canker your going to have to replace the sand I prosume.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Good question Liam....I sure hope not. Hopefully by thoroughly sterilising the sand with Jeyes Fluid or bleach it can still be re-used. I will find out.

Simon