Search This Blog

Thursday, October 01, 2009

Last knockings

It’s my final show of the year this Saturday in the village of Sturton in Lincolnshire. I’ve said before that it’s a small village with a big show and I think this is the 122nd annual show which is incredible when you think about it. My thoughts are with the show secretary Rebecca who lost her husband suddenly at the age of 52 in August.

I’ve entered 53 classes, not just in veg but also in dahlias, cacti and some photos! I think the pick of my veg will be my spuds. I emptied all my entries out of the compost they’re being stored in a week or so ago to have a look at them and was very pleased with the condition of them. Hopefully they’ll scrub up well and land me some wins in the 6 classes they have for spuds. I shall prepare half of them tonight as I think I shall need about 40 in all, which is too many to leave until tomorrow night.

After Saturday teatime it’ll be time to start ordering those seeds and thinking about next season. How the sands of time are swiftly falling through that hole!

2 comments:

robb said...

Simon,

As they say "the last one is always a good 'un". Really enjoyed reading your exploits this year...and has certainly given me inspiration to grow better next year. All the best rob

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Robb,

Thanks a lot. I might not be everyone's cup of tea but I aint going away! LOL

Cheers
Simon