Search This Blog

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Beat by better beet


I usually pick up a few wins in the beetroot class but have only managed a couple of 2nds and a 3rd this season. Admittedly I didn't give them as much care and attention as I usually do, not thinning them out after germination, but I am usually able to clean up a reasonably matched set by scouring the corkiness from the shoulders. However, this year it wasn't to be and the quality of the round beet at Malvern made me realise I must up my game. The fact that the winning beet at Malvern were so obviously illegally oiled with something is neither here nor there! That's one for the conscience of the exhibitor!
Next season I plan to have ready some raised wooden beds made from 12" planks filled with good quality compost. This should allow me to tend to them better and be more easily able to draw compost over the shoulders to help prevent corky skin. I shall probably grow a whole raised bed like this purely with Malvern in mind. Most of the top growers grow Pablo these days instead of Red Ace. I tried Pablo a couple of seasons back and didn't get on with it. I may have to have another shot at it.

No comments: