Search This Blog

Thursday, October 08, 2009

Storing 8oz onions




Whilst I've nailed the size and shape of my 8oz onions by measuring them regularly and pulling as soon as they get up to size, I suffered with some strange markings this season. They are a mixture of little black speckles and what look like tide marks and I think it's down to storing them in my garage. I'm sure the change in temperature between night and day causes condensation which affects the skin condition. I think I need to guarantee a more constant temperature to ensure more even ripening. At this point my wife no longer needs to read any further.




Next year I'm storing them in our bedroom!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't even think about it!

Anonymous said...

Apparently soft leather bags are ideal for the even drying of onions.
The ancient Greeks used to use this technique to keep them for a good 6 months.
So you're in luck.
Get all your old Gimp Masks out of the wardrobe and you'll be sorted.
Watch out for the zips though as they can scratch the skin.
Hope this helps.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

I shall leave that last comment as it's actually quite funny.LOL

But it still doesn't alter the fact that you're an anonymous wanker!