Search This Blog

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Tired but happy



When I first started showing I couldn't understand why most of the top exhibitors would leave straight after the show and not stay for the auction. I know now. After another 2 shows on one day for the second weekend running and another 60 or so entries I'm absolutely shattered! I had another successful weekend however, winning 19 red cards and 4 trophies including 'Best in Show' for these leeks at Sileby. I also won my first ever red card for large onions at Sileby although I do think I was a little lucky as my onions weren't that uniform although they have ripened quite nicely in the past week.
I lost out on 'Most points in Show' by a single point to Mick Mills again. Mick says he's had a disastrous year. God help me when he has a good one! The show has gone from strength to strength since starting up again 2 years ago and attracted over 270 entries, due in no small part to the hard work of Melvyn Hoyes and Stephanie Green. Sadly, and perhaps predictably, my Victoria sandwich was just outside the cards in a class of 4 entries! Looks like the Hairy Bakers haven't got much to worry about there then!


At Littleover I won two of the main awards for the 'Grange Collection' for 3 flowers and 3 sets of 3 vegetables, and the Littleover (Top) Tray award. Having travelled all the way there I received a call from my wife to inform me I needed to put the battery in the camera.....the battery that was still at home! So I'm indebted to Paul Harvey taking a few photos for me which he'll be emailing in the next few days I hope.


I now have a few weeks off from showing until my last show at Sturton in Lincolnshire in October, so I can now do some tidying up in the garden and some walking, starting with a walk in Derbyshire next weekend.

No comments: