Search This Blog

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Parsnips at Sileby


No one else to compete against in the parsnip class at Sileby but I had a nice set nonetheless. If I'd been judge I'd have gone for these as best in show instead of my leeks. Every single one I've pulled this season has been totally blemish free and a joy to clean up.

I have about 12 stations left to pull a set or two for my last show in 3 weeks at Sturton so if the last few weeks has been anything to go by I should be able to get a cracking exhibit together.

I'm certainly on the lookout for the variety Pinnacle in the catalogues as I will definitely be growing it again next season.

3 comments:

Veg4Show said...

Medwyns tested Pinnacle did he not? and said he was going to stock it for next year if I'm not mistaken. My friend also grew Pinnacle but despite them being good couldn't get them big enough to win. Kinda put me off as he grew them with the same method as me.

I grew mostly Javelin last year and man they are total rubbish, almost yellow with no weight.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

I guess it just goes to show that some varieties suit some growers and not others. Last year I grew beetroot Pablo because it won the National (and was 2nd/3rd/4th and 5th!)and it was hopeless. Back to trusty old Red Ace this year and lo and behold I start to win again!

I can't praise Pinnacle highly enough....it's just done the business for me big time. I haven't had a single skin blemish on any of the ones I've pulled so far and only 1 has had a secondary root about 6" down that rendered it useless.

No doubt it's a fluke and next year it'll be hopeless again LOL

Regards
Simon

Veg4Show said...

I grew pablo this year, they all went to seed lol. I'm going to grow some Wild Parsnip's next year and see how they get on.