Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Sungold


Grown this cherry tomato variety for the first time this year and notched up a couple of wins with it. It’s an orange/yellow variety rather than the usual red but it does tend to give uniform sized fruits about an inch diameter with nice fresh calyces.

When exhibiting these many exhibitors simply plonk them on a paper plate so that they’re rolling about all over the place. I display mine on dishes of dry sand, nestling them into it neatly around the edge as shown. The other exhibitors may well have better fruits but what I’m doing is just making the judge think…’Hey, this guy knows what he’s doing. I’d best have a proper look at these ones’. If the judge is honest and thorough he will only judge fruit against fruit but I have won against what I would consider superior exhibits simply because I staged them in a pleasing manner (although you’d never get the judge to admit that!)

No comments: