Search This Blog

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Spuds bashed


This 3rd place at Sutton Bonington has been my only card with potatoes this season. The variety was Malin and these were the only 4 decent sized tubers I managed to salvage from about 50 bags this season.
I got talking to a great spud grower at Littleover who reckoned that I may have made my peat too alkaline when I sterilised the bags with Armillatox. I did this to try and kill any blight spores that may have overwintered after last year's attack. In any case he said you need to get fresh peat in every 3 years or so and mine is now about 4 years old so I've spread it over the flower borders and will be buying new stuff over the winter and sieving it as I go.
He also uses calcified seaweed and Vitax Q4 in his bags......about 4 oz of each per bag!!!!!

No comments: