Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Carmen


For the second year in a row I took 1st, 2nd and 3rd at Sileby with cucumbers. I have mixed views on this. I don’t really like doing it as I prefer to see different names on each prize card but if you have 3 good exhibits and the show allows it then on the other hand I think why not? I’d only have given them away otherwise. I’ve won my last 3 shows with cu’s and they’re still coming thick and fast. In fact my main problem has been finding enough fleece material to insert between the fruit and the foliage to stop them being marked. The variety is Carmen and is growing direct in my greenhouse border soil that had plenty of well rotted horse muck dug into it in the Spring. I tie it to a cane framework slightly angled so that the fruits hang down and away from the stem which is quite rough and prickly.

No comments: