Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Solving the scab

It's not a widely known fact, but a fact nonetheless, that a highly intelligent mind can sometimes be blind to something that should be bleeding obvious and it needs someone with a far inferior intellect to point it out to you. Indeed, sometimes it merely requires a cerebrum the size of an amoeba to make you aware of it.

Anyway, I digress. Back to veg. I'm indebted to Dan Unsworth for questioning whether the scabby skin finish on my Winston spuds could be down to the fact that I watered them from a tap. Being in a hard water area it could be that this, coupled with the fact that we exhibitors use a lot of calcified seaweed has done for my spuds this season. I know Ian Stocks in Scotland has suffered the same problem and today Dave Thornton emailed me to say every single one of his Winston were scabbed up too (tee hee!). Meanwhile Dan has not watered his Winston as he doesn't have mains water on his allotment and his spuds seem top notch. He was a lucky first timer last season with his Sweet Candles so maybe it's the same this year with his potatoes. Maybe not. Maybe there is something in it.

Scientifically, the lads on the NVS forum say that the scab causing organism is suppressed at a pH of 5.3 and under so if you water with hard water you're possibly going to raise the pH. Also, it can stay in the soil/compost so if you're a cheapskate like me and you re-use the compost you increase the likelihood of getting it next season. Any scab on your seed potatoes should be cut out before planting.

So, a decision has to be made. My wife can stop reading from this bit now. Next season I shall be using seaweed meal instead and getting fresh bags of compost in at huge expense to the Smithyveg household.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

If that is the case why is it that only the Winston that have scab?

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Good question Paul. (You're not as thick as you look!)

I have got my Kestrel up but not emptied them out yet but a furtle about revealed some good looking spuds and also some scabbed up ones.

Could just be that Winston is more susceptible.

geoffos garden said...

hi all, reading pauls ? and simons answer i planted some MARIS PEERS and they also came out with scabbs, could it be that the condition of the compost or soil is not in the right condition for them. I have in previous years alwas used a water gel to make sure that there is some moisture available especialy when growing in potatoe bags. advice welcome.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Good idea about the gel Geoff. I shall make a note of that for next season too.

Richard W. said...

I understand that conventional wisdom to ensure scab free spuds is to grow them in bags in your master bedroom, under 24 hour lights and with a auto watering system connected to the en-suite shower.

Have you told your missus yet?

P.S. Some with, some without here in the same bag. (not Winston), although Pink Fur Apple squeaky clean.