Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Cock a looky at my leeky


Not shown my Pendle leeks on here in a while. I'd bought two batches from different sources and the later purchased batch went to seed in early July leaving me just 12. Of these 2 went to seed in early August and 2 more succumbed to maggots as the base.
On the whole, and considering I haven't really given them any attention, I'm very pleased with the ones I have left although I have suffered quite a bit with leek moth nibbling the flags. Next season I really will have to erect an enviromesh framework over the raised beds. If I can keep the foliage cleaner I reckon I can grow leeks to a pretty high standard. As it is I shall only be exhibiting at local level with leeks this season. Because I have persuaded a few local shows to reduce the leek class from 3 to 2, it means I can enter 3 or 4 shows with quality specimens.
In the Spring I did give the beds a really good sprinkling of blood, fish and bone (half a box per bed) plus an ample scattering of seaweed meal a couple of weeks before planting, remembering that leeks need a good amount of nitrogen early on.

No comments: