Search This Blog

Monday, August 30, 2010

Leicester Show 2010

I'm a lot happier tonight. Only 6 red cards at Leicester today but a couple of trophies, including one for best veg (parsnips) means it was all ultimately worthwhile. All the best growers in the county show here so any card is hard to win and therefore worth something.





They looked a bit scabby after two days on the tables but did it for me again at Leicester. I got best in show with Pinnacle a couple of seasons ago too.












My other success was in the collection of 6 where I deservedly beat my new buddy Ian Taylor who has now vowed to rub my nose in it next season. A fiver says he can't!

Special mention again for my good lady Leesa. Yesterday was our 23rd wedding anniversary and she got up early to put together my winning basket of veg for the 4th year running. More photos in the next few days.


8 comments:

mistyhorizon2003 said...

Hey there, well done, and might I say your good lady looks lovely and no doubt is an absolute bonus when it comes to your displays.

Unknown said...

Well done Simon when is the next one ?

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

My next show is Saturday....Sutton Bonington. In a dilemma whether to pull more carrots and hope I have enough for Malvern or whether to forget Malvern and put them in at SB where I'll probably win all said and done.

Lots of friends and relatives visit this show so I always feel duty bound to put good stuff in if possible.

I have had a bonus of sorts in that i'm now doing one show less because the organisers of another local show I do changed the date to this weekend (it should be two weeks later) and neglected to tell me. I'm a bit pissed off about it actually but even so I can't do two shows the same day as I'm so heavily involved at SB. I doubt I'll bother with it in future either now and do Harrogate instead.

Peeved of Loughborough (neither north nor south but a perfect combination of the best of the two)

Unknown said...

I am doing another local show this weekend then I will call it a day and concentrate on beating you next year at Harrogate.

Is the Wiz said...

Really liked your perfect mixture and the basket looked fantastic. I'd like to do stuff like that but suspect it will have to wait till I retire.

JBA seed potatoes said...

Keep up the good work.
You should get yourself upto Dundee for a look.

geoffos garden said...

well simon, just come back from janner land(newton abbot) and i be just catching up on what has been going on. first of all well done and most of all congratulations on your 23 anniversary a very happy one i hope.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Paul....if either of us get a card at Harrogate next season I'll sleep with Ed Milliband!

Iain....would love to get to Dundee but alas am heavily involved with a local show this weekend. Will start to steer away from local shows if poss over the next few years and try and join the big boys.

Geoff....was a happy 23rd anniversary for me apart from having to spend all my winnings on a celebratory meal!