Search This Blog

Monday, August 02, 2010

Fiddle-de-di!

Or to put it another way......f************************************ck!



I thought I'd got on top of onion white rot but my 3 biggest onions succumbed to it yesterday. It really is heart breaking and I'm going to have to make some decisions later this year. I think I shall have to resort to growing it in large pots filled with bought-in sterilised top soil and added nutrients. An expensive option but I appear to have little choice. I shall not be exhibiting any big onions this season.



At times like this you need to focus on the good stuff, and my Sweet Candle stumps certainly fall into that category. The photo below doesn't do them justice as they are absolutely huge at the top, several inches around. If they carry their weight all the way down I can't wait to see what they look like. I hope they're not too big although I think they will not swell out much more but will now be starting to form the stump end and will need to make sure they don't force themselves upwards and out of the sand as a result.


I have no way of knowing as yet but I hope to have some decent Winston spuds in the bags. These are in my garage having had the tops cut down a few days ago. I shall be emptying them out and putting them into sets in a week or so. You need to give them at least 7 days for the skins to harden. However, a sneaky fondle deep within the peat of a few bags has told me I have several good sized tubers to look forward to. I just hope I won't suffer from too much scabby skins which rendered my early plantings for the July show at Keyworth unshowable.
Meanwhile the rest of my spuds (Kestrel, Maxine,Blue Belle, Camelot and Harmony) have plenty of fresh looking green tops on them and will be another 2 or 3 weeks before I can get these up in the same manner.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Simon Have a look at the comments on my blog you may want to save all your pop bottles from now on
Paul

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Paul,

I've been talking to Geoff on and off for a while now. I'd be interested to see how he's managed to grow carrots in pop bottles.....different certainly. For me it just seems a bit fiddly but you never know.

I'm certainly excited about my Sweet Candle.....in fact I'm nursing a semi!

mistyhorizon2003 said...

Oh my, was that onion the lovely one Heather kept photographing for you? It is a terrible shame if it was, it looked so healthy!

Unknown said...

I still think mine look bigger. Iv'e just cut a 2.5,lb Lettuice will post photos tonight.
Paul
p.s. only a semi!!!

Unknown said...

Yet another question. I joined the NVS.online 2 weeks ago should I have heard something by now? I have not even had a welcome email I am now wondering what are the benifits of being a member?

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Paul,

I've sent you a copy of the latest edition of the NVS magazine while you're waiting.....t'is a cracking read I reckon.

I would have thought you would have had something by now but I know they have had some glitches with the website. When I joined several years ago I also had to wait a while. Bear in mind it is a charitable organisation run by volounteers and it is the holiday period you impatient northern bastard!.

It may be worth emailing the webmaster webmaster@nvsuk.org.uk, name of John Harrison and double checking they have record of you.

Regards
Simon

p.s. when are you coming down to visit so I know when to get the tripe in?

Unknown said...

Ill call next week and bring a decent large Onion to go with the Tripe seing as you don't have any.