Search This Blog

Monday, August 30, 2010

Hathern Show 2010

A poor weekend. My long carrots were as forked as my stumps and I had to pull 20 to get this set for Leicester. An even poorer set of two for Hathern came unplaced.







The Pinnacle parsnips cleaned up quite well in the bath. I had two sets of three for Leicester, one in the collection class that I'm quite hopeful about. I was unplaced at Hathern where the judges always go for some huge un-uniform roots that are quite pitted. Most of my roots had some canker damage but I find that it can be rubbed off for these early shows as it's usually only just on the surface. In a couple of weeks it will have gone a lot deeper and be impossible to hide. I am going to have to find something to combat this next season.




My useless potatoes did manage 2nd but I would be ashamed to show these at a higher level show.





A bonus 2nd place for my disappointingly poor Sweet Candle. Great skin finish but poor form and I'd had to carefully slice off a couple of fairly large side roots that the judge would have noted.







In the 'any other veg' my mexican mouse melons were a talking point.






Only entry in the shallots but they would have taken some beating.






1st and 2nd for globe beet in a hotly contested class.






Got a pleasantly surprising bonus 2nd for this vase of 2 gladioli.




For some reason that the organisers couldn't explain my entry in the Master Gardener class never got judged. The flowers weren't great but it should have got a 2nd at least. Instead 2nd place went to 3 tiny sets of scabby veg and a flower arrangement!!! Not even a vase of flowers so that should strictly have been disqualified. However, in view of the weekend's disappointments it was par for the course. I didn't make a big fuss as I've always said the day I get upset by a judge's decision is the day I give it all up. Judges are human beings at the end of the day and can make mistakes like the rest of us. Blind twat.





But at least I managed best exhibit with these tomatoes that were a little on the small side but perfectly formed. A nice little NVS medal made the day's tribulations worthwhile





A chance at last to show off the Midland's soppiest grin. 6 red cards and three trophies wasn't a bad haul but I'm peeved about my roots and potatoes. I would have walked these classes in previous seasons. I'm going to have to seek some advice as to why my carrots were so poor this season.



On now to see the results at Leicester this afternoon where the standard of competition is even higher. All in all I may have to rethink my ambitions for places like Malvern.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Well Done Simon
Re the grin I can beat that see my blog
Re the Carrots I think it is your geographical location that is the problem too far South lol.

mistyhorizon2003 said...

Well in spite of your disappointments it sounds as if didn't do badly at all Simon, so well done. How long until your next show?

Richard W. said...

Paul's talking bollocks. Quite obviously, you're much too far north.

Well done on the other results. Good start to your season, surely.

Dan said...

I bet winning the coveted NVS Medal for "The most meritorius vegetable exhibit in the show" made you feel 5 feet tall.
Well done to you !
Dan

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Better than being 5 foot wide ya big northern pot thrower.

When's your first show then?