Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The demise of Dawn

Popped up the allotment tonight and the pumpkin I named Dawn appears to have stopped growing which is a shame. However, the good news is that I have even bigger pumpkins now on my other two plants which were only grapefruit size a couple of nights ago. I have named these two Ester (Hall....see BT ads) and Minnie (Driver). They are on much bigger plants so should now have plenty of fuel to grow big very fast.


I got all my Vento onions for the 250g class up a couple of nights ago. A very mixed bag but I managed to salvage a dozen or so at about 7-8oz. After stripping back all split skins you should be left with an unsplit green skin. If it's brown take this skin off also. I have changed my method of storing this year. After washing and drying I am merely wrapping each bulb in a sheet of newspaper rather than leaving them to stand on beds of sawdust. Apparently, a top showman I heard of used to do this so I'm giving it a try.
Hopefully my wife has now lost interest with this post if she started reading it.....I shall be storing them somewhere in the house for more constant temperatures. Last year I had some skin markings on my ripened bulbs which I put down to condensation from being stored in the garage.

4 comments:

Dan said...

Shame about the Pumpkin.
My plant's about 30 ft long and 20 ft wide but I've only got 2 grapefruit sized ones on.
Mind you It's just pissed down up here for the last 5 weeks and the sun's never come out once ..and It's actually got down to 8C at night ...in bloody August !!! so It's not exactly ideal pumpkin growing weather.
What a Bag O' Shite !!!.
The way it's going at the moment I'm only going to be entering some frigging chickweed in the "AOV" class ...LOL !!!!
At times like this ,given the weather I'm getting at the moment,I sometimes wish I was a Southern Shandy Drinking Cockney like you.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

At times like this (we've had no rain for many weeks, just loads of sunshine) i'm glad I don't live in a northern rat'ole like you!

Wife....we need more ice!

Giant Steve said...

Don't let these Northern Monkeys have their say.
Us Southerners should stick together. !!
Shandy & Ice = Nice.
You are an inspiration to all of us.

mistyhorizon2003 said...

Sorry to hear about "Dawn", but hopefully your other babies will grow huge.

I have chosen the "wrapping in newspaper" option for my onions and placed them under our bed after receiving some very good advice from an expert veg grower. Also went down the talcum powder root, so hopefully mine will be good in time for 17th and 18th of this month.

Can't wait to see your onions too (once they are nice and brown ready to be exhibited). I am sure you will be very successful.