Search This Blog

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Runners up?


When you go to a National Show you see runner beans you can only dream of growing. Sherie Plumb and Andrew Jones grow 'Stenner' beans so long and fresh looking you wonder how they do it. Well, now so have I, albeit, a week before my first shows. I've picked 3 beans 19 inches long and there isn't a bean bulge in sight. I've wrapped these 3 in a towel secured against a wooden batten and stored them in our fridge. They fit diagonally.....just! Hopefull they will last a week this way but I have plenty of other beans 14 to 15 inches so it's just a matter of waiting for these to catch up. The well rotted cow muck in the bean trench has certainly helped but ultimately you need the correct variety of bean. Enorma is the best variety for local showing and if you are growing this then I'd concentrate on getting a good set of beans 12 to 14 inches. If there is any bean bulge whatsoever don't bother showing it as the bean will not snap cleanly. Most judges will snap one of your beans to assess freshness, and a bulgy bean will always be stringy.
Yesterday I visited a few local shows trying to drum up business for the NVS, but I also shot over to Notts to view the Notts DA show where my arch rival and buddy Dave Thornton was showing. It was an opportunity to see his produce in view of our little wager. The bastard had the biggest, most superb looking shallots you'll ever see in your life. He's a nailed on cert for National shallot champion again I'd say. How the hell does he get them so big? I've grown my best ever at 2" diameter but his dwarf mine. I f*cking hate him!
There weren't many potato entries and those that were there were quite small. The stump carrot class was only reasonable, the skin finish leaving some room for improvement. I'm starting to worry about mine now. I haven't seen a good stump carrot dish anywhere yet.

No comments: