Search This Blog

Monday, November 14, 2011

Onions 'dressed' and onions 'as grown'

Surprised no-one has asked me about these definitions before as I've seen it cause more than it's fair share of confusion. I've even see one set of 'dressed' onions have a little paper shirt and tie affixed to them but that wasn't exactly to do with confusion rather than the exhibitor in question being a bit of a twat.




I've been stewarding a show when the judge has complained to me about the 'as grown' onions having all the soil still hanging from the roots, when the exhibitor has literally pulled them up and plonked them down on the bench. He was upset that he got wet soil over his trousers which was fair enough. Even though the term 'as grown' is used you should still give your onions some TLC. First and foremost make sure all soil is knocked from the roots. They don't need to be washed as you would leek roots, just free from the worst of the dirt and in a presentable condition. I would also go as far as taking off all the old, brown, fleabitten leaves and any loose skins, but be aware that this could potentially leave you open to being NAS'd by a pernickity judge who deems them to be not 'as grown'. I would say that most growers would be tidying up their onions as they grow so this would be a perfectly acceptable way of displaying 'as grown' onions.



In my opinion it's a lot better spectacle than this





But just be aware of my proviso and check with your show manager if in any doubt.



Contrary to the comedian who drew a tie and jacket on a set of onions, 'dressed' means simply well ripened, uniform bulbs with the roots cut flush to the root plate and the tops tied neatly with RAFFIA. Try and get into the habit of using raffia if you can, even if your show schedule doesn't specify it, as there will come a time when you will be NAS'd for using green string, elastic bands, green tape....believe me I've seen them all used at local level and they look truly awful. Even in a village show a judge will struggle to take you seriously if you don't tie your tops with raffia.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Interested re: the root plate.
I was always told to completely remove all traces of root by scraping the root plate clean.
Mind you this was by an old bloke but I've always done it myself.
So do I only need to cut the roots off flush to the plate ?
This would help as I don't think any of my onions would re-root again if I ever wanted to seed any of 'em.I do the same with the shallots too...oops !

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

I've been trying to find my judges guide to see if anything is mentioned but cannot find it at the moment. I cannot see the point in doing that Dan....as you say they would struggle to root if replanted for seed. Just trim back all the dried roots, any corky crap from shallots, so you have a nice tidy appearance and jobs a good'un.