Search This Blog

Friday, November 18, 2011

Off on me 'ols!

After all the drama and tribulation of the last week I have mixed feelings about my forthcoming trip up to Scotland next week. Saturday marks the annual Scottish Branch of the NVS seminar, where for 8 quid you get three speakers and the chance to buy items that are unavailable in the garden centres. Speakers this year include Peter Glazebrook on onions and Jim Pearson on caulis and as I'm hoping to improve my onions next year, and actually grow a cauli worth showing having struggled in the past, these are two very timely talks as far as i'm concerned.




From there it will be up to my brother's on the Kintyre peninsula for a few days walking. However, he informed me that there is a ceilidh (pronounced kaylee...huh?) in the village church hall on the Saturday night for which there is compulsory attendance. I've been to these shindigs with him and his family before and believe me they are one of the most terrifying things you'll ever experience. I'm convinced they were invented purely to make visiting englishmen look like pricks. And believe me.....when i'm 'ceilidhing'.....I look like a prick. My sister-in-law seems to take great delight in sending me the wrong way and I always end up with my face in some huge scottish lady's boobs, or holding hands with an enormous bearded bloke with big teeth who takes a worrying delight at doing so. And because the church hall is 'dry' there is no alcohol to soften the pain. I feel very, very trepidacious!

4 comments:

Och Aye the Moo said...

You're more likely to end up in the clutches of a big boobed bearded lady up there !

ontheplot said...

You should have said today simon and I could have given you some dancing tips during the lunch break. (Not). At least in Kintyre they dont speak Gaelic. Have fun to-night.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

I got away with it.......I adopted the 'wallflower' pose next to the food table!

Ian S said...

You shoul have adopted your pea pose instead - small,stunted,nobody wants to look at them, and nothing will come of them!!