Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 09, 2011

All change

I was 3rd with long carrots at Derby (out of 3!), Dave T being 1st and 2nd, but to me this photo is significant for a number of reasons. Albeit these were literally the last 3 long carrots I had left to pull but all season I was getting lovely clean carrots, with nice shape and form but struggling to get any weight on them, and if i'm honest they've been going downhill for a few years as I've tweaked my mixes from one season to the next. It's all the more frustrating as I had the biggest, freshest, healthiest looking tops for many a year so I was really hopeful of pulling some decent long carrots this season, which is why it's quite significant seeing mine against Dave Thornton's on the show bench. I saw his carrots at his garden a number of times during the season and always came away quite smug as his foliage always seemed quite small and spindly compared to mine. However, in August just before the National Championships he showed me the shoulders of a couple of his carrots and they were very large, totally out of proportion to the tops in my opinion so I was quite confused once I started pulling my own. At Derby he even displayed one carrot in the tap root collection that was the biggest I have ever seen, i'm not joking when I say it must have been at least 6" diameter.







It's a similar situation i'm thinking to dahlias. I've had dahlias before that have huge tops but when you come to dig up the tuber in the autumn for storage there is barely a root worth saving. Perhaps i've simply overfed my carrots to the detriment of the root which of course is the important part as far as we're concerned. Or perhaps I'm expecting too much from an old mix that has served me well over the years at local level and indeed is still more than good enough to win most of my local shows, but if I want to take the next step up I need to rethink things. So I sought the advice of National Tap Root Champion Ian Simpson and he told me that he used Graeme Watson's mix which was 4 gallons of sieved Levington F2S and 3 ounces of calcified seaweed. I thought perhaps he must have clicked 'send' on the email before he'd finished typing the rest of the mix so I asked for confirmation and he replied that indeed is all he used for his carrots last season. He feels that there is enough nutrient in the F2S to last the season and overfeeding gives coarse skins. So what the hell, i'm going to try it next season and see if I start to get better results. It certainly makes things a lot simpler and should mean I'm able to get my holes bored and filled in record time if nothing else.

6 comments:

Dan said...

For what it's worth,when I tried a box of 16 stumps in the tunnel for the 1st time this year I halved the fertilizer amount in the mix to try to replicate Ian Simpsons somewhat, and they were bigger than the ones outside with double the nutrients.Whether this was the added warmth,I don't know, but I'm cutting back on the fert next year on all the carrots as my long carrots were a bit skinny too.

corny said...

Interesting reading........ After sieving compost for about an hour yesterday, I'm thinking now of doing a 50-50 trial on my first long carrots. They will have to be outside so will try a traditional mix in 3 barrels and 3 with the F2 recipe. Do you sow in succession or all at the same time?

James (Digtoplant) said...

Just a thought Simon If it was me I would have a look at the Nitrogen level in your drums/mix. If nitrogen levels are high you will get lots of healthy top growth at the cost of root development. Roots need potash and even if their is plenty of potash and the the nitrogen level is on the high side you will still get top growth at the expense of root growth.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Corny
II did try sowing some in a greenhouse for a July show but otherwise they all get done one weekend in April.

James
I think you could be right. Things going to get much simpler from now on.

Anonymous said...

I presume this is also true of parsnips?Any thoughts on this?

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Parsnip need a bit more 'body' to the mix so I include some sterilised soil. They're more robust than carrots and i'm happy with my parsnip mix so i'll leave that alone for now.