Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Back to basics

Well now, how am I going to pass the next few months before the seed sowing starts in ernest? I thought I could get back to basics and the real reason I started this blog, to explain the terminology of showing to beginners and novices, plus any tips on preparation and staging. So it's going to be over to you guys for the next few weeks. If anyone has any questions they need answering then drop me a line or post a comment and I'll do my best to reply as succinctly as possible. If I can't answer then I know people who can. It really doesn't matter how stupid you think the question is as we all started somewhere and I remember scratching my head myself as some of the things I read, wondering what was actually meant by it.




As a starter for 10, I'll begin with the wording in show schedules regarding the word 'dish'. I've been asked more than a few times about this, as people often think they actually have to exhibit all vegetables on a dish if the schedule calls for '1 dish of 3.....'. 'Dish' is merely a generic term used by schedule makers to denote a specified number of vegetables which can be displayed in a number of ways (unless specified in the schedule) for instance direct on the table (carrots & parsnips), on special 'homemade 'stands (onions) or actually on dishes (potatoes).



Therefore this is a 'dish' of potatoes....















But this is also a 'dish' of onions
















And this is a 'dish' of carrots




















Hope that helps.....any more questions?



p.s. Before any clever fucker asks, I will not answer questions such as ....why are you such a twat? What is the daily diet of a munchkin or a fucking oompa-loompah? Or why can't you grow peas?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you remove the tomato from the plant, with calyx attached---I suspect it should be obvious, but I don't know!.

islayguzzler said...

You may be seriously inadequate at growing them, but with your impending qualifications you will undoubtedly be able to judge them! So your first probably stupid question is as follows:
Is there an optimum pea size? I didn't grow many last year but intend to grow more next season. Many of my pods when left on the plant at maturity resulted in the peas showing bulges on the outside of the pod. Is this expected and necessary to be successful on the show bench?
Neil

corny said...

This sort of information is very helpful to me. I'm hoping to show at some local shows next year. My difficulty is to choose what veg to show and how many of each individual veg' to grow to give me a chance. (i.e. to get a uniform set of 3 do I need to choose from 10? Also sowing intervals to give progression...... 4 weekly?

The scoring system and detail of what is expected, uniformity, size, condition & how this effects the scoring would also be useful.

I guess the answer to a lot of these questions is to 'suck-it-and-see'.

Hopefully, growing to show will improve my general growing skills, something that gives me immense pleasure.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Thanks for the first questions guys....I'll try and answer them in more detail in the next few days

Richard W. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Richard W. said...

You've answered so many of my questions over the past couple of years that I can honestly say that the rising quality of my produce is more than a little due to the help you've so generously given, and I thank you.

However, there is one area that I've never completely been able to get my head around and would be eternally grateful for a definitive answer.

In all seriousness, what is the daily diet of a munchkin or a oompa-loompah?

Unknown said...

Dear Simon just wondered if you could tell me why my 2006 fiesta has a flat spot at 2000 revs and at what mileage should I change the cambelt
cheers Paul

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Munchkins eat the gobshite produced by over-exaggerating southeners.


The recommended change for a timing belt for a Focus Petrol is 100,000 miles or 10 years whichever is the earliest

Richard W. said...

Thanks for that, Simon. OK, let's settle on 8", shall we.