Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Yet more on.....

.......brilliance of me at Malvern 2010.....you will all tell me if you think I'm going on a bit won't you?

I was dead happy to get 3rd in shallots at the NVS Midland Championships. This is the first class where I saw I'd won a card and believe it or not I would have considered the journey worthwhile just on this result alone. There were over a dozen entries and of course the class was won by my pal Dave Thornton. He's pretty much unbeatable with shallots and he manages to get his about 65 diameter and still round. Mine were just over 50mm.





















My shallots actually came from Dave Thornton 3 years ago so they have the shape if not his size. A couple of guys I spoke to felt I could have got 2nd as the second placed ticket seemed less uniform, but one of my bulbs had a bit of a purple tinge so that probably got me downpointed. I keep reselecting the best shaped ones each year for replanting and keep learning about their needs. I was once told that shallots don't need a lot of feed but I think that cannot be true. I had a lot of bulbs go out of shape (I've given these away.....still ok to replant but it'll just take them a bit longer to get good shaped stock.....can't have them competing with me just yet!). They go out of shape I reckon when secondary growth occurs. The minute the green shoots stop emerging from the growing point is the moment you have to get them up and I reckon for me this is the first week in June . I shan't be tempted to leave them in the ground to get bigger....I'd rather have slightly smaller bulbs that are nice and round than big, misshapen ones.

I also won the 12 shallot class on the Malvern side which had even more entries.....and yes before you say it Mr. Perry....Thornton didn't enter here or I wouldn't have won obviously!















In the meantime my wife informs me that her work screensaver is of me and the kids.


Here is mine!


5 comments:

Dan said...

Now this is really confusing.
You work in a room which contains a microwave,a box of tea, a bottle of vinegar,and various cleaning products on the shelf...all behind what looks like a security door.
Are you a tea boy / janitor in a mental establishment per chance ?

Anonymous said...

Hoop's they should have been N'A'S twelve not nine in the N'V'S.

pies said...

thats not a screen saver its desktop background :)

And i can see you dont do any housework,just look at the dust n the keyboard

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Dan....you nosy twat. Yes I do work as a supervisor in a nut house.....t'is full of sexually confused Yorkshiremen!

Anonymous.....NVS Midlands calls for 9 only....the Malvern Championships asks for 12.Don't ask me why.

Pies.....housework is for women and yorkshiremen in pinnies.

Dan said...

I'm not confused..far from it,in fact tonight I have just performed a good old "Zuffle"..lol