Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

As I end the third full day.....

............of my low-profile year long reign as the greatest tomato grower in the Midlands and Anglesey (and probably certain parts of Yorkshire) I do have to admit the debt of gratitude I owe to my wife Leesa. As I was boxing up the 3 sets of tomatoes that I would need for the various classes on Friday night I couldn't decide which set to enter in the 'big one' and so consulted her for her opinion. Straight away she pointed 'that one. It's rounder and more uniform'. It wasn't the set I would have gone for and so I do have her to thank for allowing me to become a legend in my own head.

She also constructed my 3rd place winning trug.























This is the second time in a row we have come third and as you can see from the first and second prize winners it's going to be a hard class to win. The winner this year was Allen Young and we sat with him at the Saturday night presentation evening (where I was awarded two trophies....not sure if I've mentioned that already?). Allen is a top grower (and bloody nice fella) and his name appeared in the tickets all over the place. Every vegetable in his trug was top notch so if we are to beat him I shall have to make sure I give Leesa nothing but the best to work with in future.











































It was only just above freezing when we arrived at the showground at 4.30am and by the time she'd finished she couldn't feel her fingers. All in all I had a hard time persuading her it was fun....as you can see from this photo taken at 2.30am just before we set off!
















I couldn't have become Tomato King (have I mentioned that?) without you dear.

5 comments:

pies said...

Looks a nice display which obviously it was to get a card.

To me, and this is constructive critism (sic),the front half looks "flat" when compared to the others

I'll get me coat now :)

Unknown said...

have I missed something did you win at Malvern ?

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Pies....I couldn't possibly comment and indeed I wouldn't dare but I shall leave your comment in the hope that it inspires my wife to pull her bleedin' finger out next year and do better.

Paul....Yes I did pick up the odd ticket at the weekend but as you know I don't like to dwell on things.

Richard W. said...

It's just a pity you live north of Watford.

P.S. Your Visa Application for your trip to Westminster is being considered.

Anonymous said...

glad you are giving her the credit she deserves, behind every great grower is a great partner who washes and scrubs your veg to become a prime exhibit!, by the way Ray reckonsDave Thornton is going to be playing "ketchup" with you now. cheers ray and den x