Search This Blog

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Different meanings of the word 'wow' !

I am a happy chappie tonight. It takes a lot for me to impress my missus when it comes to veg. In the past I have often beckoned her into the garden to view my newly harvested carrots/parsnips/leeks etc and she will invariably say something along the lines of 'wow, great', in a manner that I know she really means to say 'you bald twat, you've got me away from Coronation Street to show me some reasonably ordinary looking root vegetables. What happened to that exciting man I married. Lord rid me of this tit'.

However, tonight I got a genuine 'wow' from her when I unveiled my plate of four Blue Belle spuds. They will be one part of my set of 4 lots of veg at Malvern, the other 3 sets being four tomatoes Cedrico, four Vento 8oz onions and four Sweet Candle stump carrots. Whilst I don't expect to be in the tickets I am really happy that I shall have display that will not look out of place in such exalted company. The Blue Belle have cleaned up very well and I'm really pleased with them. One tuber needed quite a bit of vigorous scrubbing but it came good in the end. They're far from perfect uniformity wise but I'm still happy with them. After drying off I wrapped each spud in some tissue paper and stored carefully in a biscuit tin to exclude light until Saturday morning.

I pulled 30 Sweet Candle and 20 of them were forked, but I did get a reasonable set of 4 for the collection. They cleaned up really easily and there was no fly damage. I also got a set of 3 for the stump class that weren't brilliant and are way off from being in the tickets as they are lacking in uniformity and one is a little lop-sided at the shoulder. However, I shall enter them anyway as I want to see how the skin finish compares to all the others in the class.

4 comments:

mistyhorizon2003 said...

LOL, I so love your description of your Wife's normal reaction to your veg (as a fellow Corrie fan I kind of 'get it'). I sincerely must get some of those Blue Belle potatoes to grow next year, the more I hear about them the more I want to try them.

Anonymous said...

What Simon has not included in his post is my reaction to finding parsnips wrapped in my brand new fluffy white bath towels!

mistyhorizon2003 said...

Hi Mrs Smithy, I sincerely apologise now for rolling around on the floor in fits of giggles at this vision. Please tell us more, such as where you inserted his parnips afterwards!! LOL

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

But it's MALVERN !!!!!

It couldn't simply be any old towel but an M&S fluffy white towel!