Search This Blog

Monday, September 13, 2010

Seagrave 2010

My 'other' local show that I am quite heavily involved with was another huge success with 350 entries which was a record.

It's always well supported by the local community especially the homecraft and children's classes.


As for me, I got 9 red cards, most pleasing of all in the Top Tray class. My tray is nearest camera with 3 Vento onions, 3 Maxine spuds and 6 Cederico tommies. We had the usual yearly complaint from a miserable exhibitor who can never understand why his veg never wins. The answer is invariably that his stuff is crap. The stuff that he does occasionally win with is purchased from after show auctions. He's never actually grown it himself. Wanker. And if he talks to my missus again like he did on Saturday night I'll break his f***ing legs.


Another 1st for tomatoes. This is the only crop where I think I may be able to compete at Malvern in a couple of weeks time.


My winning cucumbers would have been excellent in a couple of days, being a bit on the small side, but they won nevertheless.



I managed to keep last week's winning leeks for a week by re-wrapping the barrels and keeping the roots moist in wet tissue paper. They came good for me and won again.




Last year we raised £1000 for the local Rainbows Children's Hospice and a representative came to collect the cheque and handover the trophies.



Despite winning 9 red cards, 5 more than anyone else, and a few other 2nds and 3rds I still couldn't get my hands on the trophy for most points. That accolade went to my 118 year old (approx.) apprentice Ian Taylor, who has learnt everything he knows from me. Bloody young upstarts! Next year the gloves are off and we have a wager arranged. Full details to be finalised but you'll need to be on top of your game next year Ian !!!



Ester weighed in at a disappointing 185 lbs or 87 kilos or 13 stone. Still big enough to win the heaviest pumpkin class as it was indeed the only entry. Here I am with a pal loading her back up in the van. She now resides in my back garden ready to be carved out on Hallowe'en.
This weekend I have an unexpected break as the organisers of another local show decided to change the usual date to a week ago and forgot to actually inform one of their regular supporters. i.e. MOI! I'm quite upset about that and won't be going to this show in future. I've since heard that the benches were way down on produce from previous years. Therefore, i'm taking the opportunity to go up Kinder.....and before Dan interjects that doesn't mean I'm performing an unnatural act on a chocolate egg but walking up and around the Peak District's tallest hill Kinder Scout. Should be a welcome break from scrubbing veg for a weekend.
Then it's off to Malvern for my now yearly humiliation amongst the big boys of the veg growing world.

6 comments:

kev broxholme said...

thanks for the name check in the littleover review.sounds like you have just about forgiven me for supplying the wrong dahlias to you last year! over the weekend i got 3 1sts and a 3rd at littleover and a 1st a 2nd & 2 3rds at long eaton for my dahlias. I am still awaiting the results to filter through from the seagrave show for my dahlias & gladioli!!
All being well i will be at harrogate this week with my dahlias.
Congrats on your continued successes over the weekend.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Kev,

You got 2nd for the cactus, 3rd in the decs and 2nd in the poms.

Also 1st and 3rd in the gladdies.

Dan said...

I wouldn't ever dream of making some cheap joke about you Mounting a Scout..Hmmm.
I just hope you have as much fun as I had up Bowfell yesterday.
It was a pain though, it took me nearly 50 minutes to drive to the car park at Dungeon Ghyll from home,tee hee.
Talking of top trays,look at my final one for tomorrow,best ever for moi,and yes it is 24"x18 It's just that everything's huge.
Don't look before you go to bed or you'll not get to sleep with a semi on!

mistyhorizon2003 said...

Sounds like one twat should be "lamped one", would love to know what he said to your wife that was as awful as you infer. What on earth is the point in entering a show with veg you didn't grow yourself, he must be a right "saddo"!!

Anonymous said...

It's not so much about what he said but the way he sait it, he was quite intimidating. I have already worked out a cunning plan for next year!

Is the Wiz said...

Elfin Safety Says
25kg. is the maximum one person should lift. I know you like a good moan as well as the next man, but unless you actually want to wear a corset, STOP LUGGING GIANT PUMPKINS ABOUT!