Search This Blog

Monday, September 27, 2010

4x4 collection class

No ticket in this hard fought class of about a dozen entries but I was happy that I entered a worthy exhibit. Dave Thornton also entered this class and amazingly admitted that he thought my set was better than his. That almost knocked me off my feet in itself!

You can choose 4 sets of veg from potatoes, stump carrots, 8oz onions, tomatoes and globe beet. As potatoes are the only 20 pointer out of those then they really have to be one of your 4. Stumps and tomatoes are 18 pointers and 8oz onions and beet are 15 pointers so ideally you only want to choose one of those.

My spuds were Blue Belle and this photo was taken late on day two when they had deteriorated. I wish I had taken one on the Saturday as I felt they looked quite good. One of my Sweet Candle was a bit smaller than the others but the skin condition was good. I shall be showing the better 3 of these at Sturton this Saturday.

I think this is a good class for people like myself to enter before they step up to the prestigious large collection class. I grew a whole bed of Sweet Candle just for this class and shall be attempting the same next season. Just one minor gripe. There were no score cards showing the judge's marks which was very disappointing and I know the organisers were unhappy with the judge's reluctance to do this. As a novice showing in this class for the first time I would have found it very helpful to be able to assess my individual dish scores against all the others. It's also educational for the viewing public.

No comments: