Search This Blog

Monday, August 06, 2007

Well done Dorset boy !



Congratulations to Richard from Dorset who won his first ever prize at a veg show for his outdoor cucumbers at the weekend. I reckon he's got the bug and we have a budding Medwyn Williams on our hands now. And his 10 year old daughter also won a prize for her carrots.....Sherie Plumb had better watch out!




I remember my first ever 'red card' back in 1996 for beetroot. I'd been as nervous as hell in the lead up to the show wondering whether I was wasting my time trying to compete against the 'big boys'. But most of them are as helpful as possible and welcome the chance to encourage future opposition. The smell and feel of the marquee (sometimes it's the village hall! LOL) has stayed with me ever since. I seem to remember I also won prizes for parsnips & pot plants and there was no stopping me after that.



If any others of you reading this blog have shows coming up in your area in the next few weeks try and have a go......even if it's for baking a cake, jams, flower arranging, photography etc. It's a great part of the British heritage and there is nothing like it anywhere else in the World. Shows even took place during the wars between the Home Guard/RAF/WRENS etc. This year Sturton Show in Lincolnshire is holding its 120th annual show.....incredible.

No comments: