Search This Blog

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Can't wait......



Couldn't resisit exposing the shoulders of some of my long carrots last night to try and gauge how good they might be......and they look huge. Many of them are a good 3" dia. at the top so if they carry their weight all the way down to the bottom of the barrels and haven't forked, split or been nibbled by carrot fly I could be in for a good few weeks.




The carrots in the pic were one of my earliest efforts back in 1998 (I had hair back then!) pulled from a maximum of about 15 'stations' (I now grow nearly 50). They were by far the best 3 that I grew that year and had reasonable uniformity and won me my first ever trophy for veg at Hathern Show in Leicestershire.




However, things were a lot more hit and miss and I used to get of lot of weaker carrots. This year I think I've solve
d that particular conundrum by doing my 'mixes' in smaller batches so that the nutrients get more evenly spread. Certainly all the carrots seem to be similar in size to each other

No comments: