Search This Blog

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Back to plan1 next year


I'm stood behind some cabbages here that I grew in 2003 (variety Globemaster) that I grew under green netting, the sort they use on building sites and throw in the skip at the end of the job. The netting was great for stopping pigeons and cabbage whites getting in but I did find it very fiddly and it makes spraying and watering awkward.


These last two years I've tried to grow my cabbages without netting and things haven't been nearly so successful. Last season I wrote off because of the hot weather but that hasn't been the case this season obviously. This year my cabbages are ok but they don't seem to have the same 'bloom' as they did when they grew under a bit of shading. Seeing pics like this one makes you realise just how good things have been in the past so next season I shall be dragging the old netting out of the garage and growing my cabbages under them again.


No comments: