Search This Blog

Saturday, August 04, 2007

He's got away with it !


After the doom and gloom of the 'Great Onion White Rot Disaster' I'm all smiles again as I think I may just have got away with it. Having harvested all my onions and dried them off, washing them and then taking off the outer skins there is only minimal damage around the base plate areas of some of the bulbs. I think I may just have harvested them at the last possible moment before further internal tissue damage rendered them useless for showing.


I shall have to keep my eye on them to make sure the rot doesn't spread but hopefully now they're dry and have been dusted with talc and stored in sawdust they should be ok. An experienced judge will mentally downpoint me for the imperfections to the skins around the root plate but so long as they ripen evenly I should pick up good marks for uniformity and shape.
Out of the original 20 planted I have 9 to choose from.....3 the size of the ones in the photo and 6 that are slightly smaller. It should allow me to stage a set of 3 and a set of 5 depending on the show.

No comments: