Search This Blog

Friday, August 10, 2007

The Annual Smith v. Hallam Tomato Challenge




Last year you may remember I finally beat my tomato growing friend Wendy after several years of ridicule. She had somehow conspired to beat me on every occasion we had competed in tomato classes due to illegal drug injections to her plants and the occasional bout of eye fluttering in the judges' direction !
OH YES SHE DID!

Last year I devoted an obscene amount of time making sure my tomatoes were spot on and managed to win 5 of the 7 shows I competed in. However, much of my other produce suffered as a result, notably runner beans and carrots. So this year I've not gone too over the top on my tomatoes but I do appear to have quite a few reasonable looking fruits ripening and I'm hopeful of doing well again. One thing I've done differently to previous years is to thin the fruits out on the truss in order to give the remaining ones more room to develop. It does appear to have worked and they seem a lot rounder than usual without the slightly flattened sides you can get.

However, I'm sure Wendy and Graham have pulled out all the stops this year to try and put me in my usual place so we shall have to wait and see.....let battle commence !

No comments: