Search This Blog

Friday, June 11, 2010

Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance prat!




Medwyn stresses the importance of the 6 p's but I somehow remember it being more than 6 where I grew up. The saying also goes that act or speak in haste and repent at leisure.....or at the public school I attended 'did I really overhear you just say you preferred football to rugby faggot boy? Just bend over and pick that soap up for me'.


Anyhow, I've learnt from previous all too frequent mistakes and really gone to town on my runner bean fence this season. Two stout 2"x2" tanalised timbers have been inserted into some metal box section that has been driven into the ground. Washing line has been stretched horizontally across top and bottom and green polypropylene string vertically between these. The whole support structure leans at an angle of about 25degrees from the vertical so that any developing beans hang down away from the foliage which can cause them to distort and go bendy.

6 plants have been planted into ground that was well prepared over winter with a trench dug and some manure put into the bottom. More seeds have been sown in situ. Don't forget to scatter some slug pellets. Or fox pellets if the murdering brown bastards are a problem in your area.

I'm growing a variety called Blyton Sabre again after growing it last year and getting some superb beans before the whole fence collapsed when I got swine flu at a critical time and I was too ill to get things back on track. I think you will all remember how I valiantly fought back from near certain death. What a superhuman effort that was!

2 comments:

mistyhorizon2003 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mistyhorizon2003 said...

I am trying a variety this year called St George which has apparently been hugely commended by the RHS for its productivity, but to be on the safe side I am also growing the tried and tested favourite "Enorma", both of which I shall probably enter in our local show.

I am fascinated by the idea of angling the growing frame to avoid the foliage. Sounds an excellent idea.