Search This Blog

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Ate two brute, eh?

Vigilance is the key from now on. As I've said just about everything has now been planted so it's a case of keeping an eye out for pests and pre-empting any disease problems such as blight on your spuds and tomatoes. I've lost a couple of leeks in the past few days.....they went all pale and stopped growing and something was obviously wrong. Upon lifting some tiny maggots were eating the base away causing the plants to collapse. Shitbags.

My thoughts are now turning to a show I may do in a couple of weeks time and for which I set away some potential exhibits many weeks ago, a lot earlier than I would normally do. July 10th would be the earliest I have ever 'shown' so today I've been assessing the chances of the veg being ready in time. (They certainly won't perform any worse than that total sack of shite on a South African football field earlier today!)

The peas (sourced from good Scottish stock....cheers Ian!) are growing well and I should have some super pods.

















I have plenty of lettuce at various stages around the plot so should be able to enter this class also. I will dig the roots up and wrap in damp paper towelling to exhibit. Otherwise the heads will soon go limp on the showbench.

















The carrots in an old kitchen bin could be good. Growing so few means I may have a problem finding a uniform set of 3 however.

















And I wasn't holding out much hope for the spuds in a pot in a bucket experiment but after having a bit of a 'furtle' in the compost today I exposed a couple of decent looking tubers. I grew 3 buckets of Winston and 3 buckets of Kestrel and the Kestrel in particular looked excellent. I shall only need a set of 3 so I shall cut off the foliage next weekend in order to give the tubers a week to harden their skins.

1 comment:

Veg4Show said...

The onion fly/maggot is a right pain the arse and will only get worst.

I also have this problem which has taken 9 of my leeks and 15 of my onions.

Sticky traps at the bottom of the plants help.

Bit of research and I came across Diatomaceous Earth which from a few growers say works a treat on these maggots.

Comments were all based on pre-season treatment to eradicate the pest in the first place to avoid re-infestation. So I will be the test dummy to see if it works while the plants are growing.

I know once the damage is done, its game over for the plant, but killing the maggots is important as they move from plant to plant.

Got mine from (bottom og page)
http://www.greengardener.co.uk/product.asp?id_pc=22&cat=53

My granfather always used wood ash.