Search This Blog

Monday, June 21, 2010

For fox sake!

Not quite sure about my parsnips this season. Despite all being sown within a few days of each other I have quite a variance in the height of the foliage from drum to drum. One good thing is that there doesn't appear to be any sign of yellow fleckles (canker) on the foliage after a spray with fungicide a few weeks ago.

















I am growing my courgettes a different way this season after seeing this method in the NVS magazine. Basically you tie the plant to stout poles as it grows in effect growing it like a standard. The fruits will eventually be borne clear of the ground and the lower leaves can be snapped off as they start to decay. It also allows me to grow other crops underneath.

















And you didn't believe me but it's happened again.




Total urban extermination is the only answer. Any comments disagreeing with this viewpoint will be deleted immediately!



6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Simon (Smithyveg) said...

I did warn you!

mistyhorizon2003 said...

Having a few problems with my courgettes. A good few of them seem to rot at the ends before I harvest them (often when only a couple of inches long). I don't use sprays, so everything id organic, but can tyou tell me what the problem is and if it will spread Smithy??

Also, on another subject, my potatoes in containers have masses of healthy green foliage, but I have been advised I should cut this back. I have not found any supporting evidence I should do this based on brief Internet research, so what do you think? Currently the foliage on earlies, second earlies and maincrops is about three to four feet tall, very green, not 'leggy' and flowering, (in most cases) and vigorous.

PS, Do you really read "The Sun"?? LOL

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Misty.....don't know where that advice has come from. Definitely do NOT cut your foliage back......unless of course you want lots of tiddly spuds? LOL

I also suffer from soft ends on my courgettes from time to time so you're not alone. Just one of those things. I don't think there's much you can do about it.

And yes I do read The Sun.....t'is a fine Tory paper. But mainly because it's the best one for sport! LOL Besides those big broadsheet buggers are impossible to read properly on the crapper!

mistyhorizon2003 said...

Thanks for that advice Smithy, so pleased I didn't cut back the foliage on my spuds now, although as of today the weight of the foliage has caused them to splay outwards revealing the container they are planted in. Not sure if this will be a problem or not, but will leave them well alone just in case.

I agree with what you said about the broadsheet papers though, they are a nightmare to read anywhere, (haven't tried the "crapper" as I prefer to concentrate on the event occuring at the time LOL.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Ideally you want to put a string/cane cage around the foliage to support the weight before it gets too big and floppy.