Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Blight alert

This rain coupled with high humidity means blight might not be too far away. If you grow potatoes or tomatoes outdoors, you may be advised to sign up to this free blight early warning system. It calculates if the criteria for something called the 'Smith Period' (no relation) has been fulfilled. This is 2 consecutive days where the minimum temp was 10deg C and there was 90% relative humidity for 11 or more hours on each of those days. According to my first ever feedback after I signed up yesterday my postcode is on high alert so I've sprayed my potato foliage with Dithane 945 tonight.


http://www.potato.org.uk/fab_blightwatch/signup.html

2 comments:

Dan said...

Thanks to you having a voodoo piss on Ingleborough at the weekend we've had bloody 50 mph gales and by tomorrow I don't think I'll have any potatoes left...or carrots.
Click my name and cringe at the video of wind destruction of my babies.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Too bad Dan. Spuds could have done with staking but they should recover.