Search This Blog

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Prize winning onions CAN start here

I've had an email recently from someone I've been trying to persuade to have a go at his local show. He's seen the size of other growers' onions being 5 or 6 inches tall already and convinced himself he'll never be able to compete.


Well, here are my onions, only just poking out of the compost and still at the 'loop stage'. I don't have bottom heat....at the moment these are sitting on my kitchen windowsill. In a couple of weeks I may transfer them to an amateurishly mackled growing chamber in my greenhouse, with a growlamp over them. What I'm trying to say is that size isn't everything even at this early stage. I don't want huge specimens, but would rather concentrate on growing a lot of onions in the 2-3lb range that are as alike as I can get them, well ripened and disease free.













Obviously, a good big'un will always beat a good littl'un, but if you can give your plants plenty of attention to detail, plant out identical sized plants all at the same depth, keep them growing upright, nice and steady, titivating and feeding as you go, and then harvest them in good condition, store them properly and exhibit a matching set of 3 or 5 evenly ripened bulbs, nicely tied......trust me, you will be able to compete, especially at local and village level. Follow my tips this coming season and I promise you that Eric Knobtwaithe who always wins your village show each year will bowing down to you come show day, the arrogant, ancient old bastard!

1 comment:

Eric Knobtwaithe said...

I'll have you know us Knobtwaites have been winning the local onion competitions for nearly 2000 years, so if you think we're going to let some young upsteart try to muscle in, you've gort another think coming, Mr Smiff!

You'll be suggesting he enters the sheep sha**ing competition next! It'll take a better pair of wellies than he's got to out-sh*g a Knobthwaite!