Search This Blog

Saturday, January 16, 2010

2010 schedule

There will probably be a few changes to the Smithyveg show season in 2010 as it looks like a couple of my regular shows will fall by the wayside due to funding issues in one instance and a lack of young blood on the other. As of this moment I intend to show at the following:

Sun 29th August Hathern, Leics (I have been asked to revamp their schedule......more on this later in the year)
Sun 5th Sept Sutton Bonington, Notts. (Open to local residents and members only)
Sat 11th Sept Seagrave, Leics (After show auction is a hoot)
Sat 18th Sept Sileby, Leics
Sat 25th Sept Midland NVS, Malvern (this will be the main focus of my growing season)
Sat 2nd Oct Sturton, Lincs
Tue 5th Oct RHS late show, Westminster Halls, London
Sat 30th Oct Derby Show (never exhibited this late in the year before)

Because of the two shows that are likely to disappear I will therefore be taking the opportunity to step up in class and exhibit at National level but I do think it's important to continue supporting these smaller shows and take an active involvement as much as possible. I'm on a couple of committees, and have input on 2 more so I think I'm doing my bit.

All being well I shall be competing in 3 shows against Dave Thornton and he has duly challenged me to a wager on the amount of red, blue and yellow cards that each of us gets in those 3 shows. This sounded like a good idea at first but in the cold light of day I wonder what I've done. That's me, one 2nd in the Midland Championship's novice class against him, an ex-National Carrot champ and current National shallot champ. I shall really have to be on top of my game and I do have one or two ideas where I may be able to gain advantages over him. We haven't settled on the wager amount but if he wins I'm hoping it'll be a fiver, and if I win I'm hoping it'll be an undefended kick to his bollocks.

2 comments:

kev broxholme said...

i have heard that both the city of leicester show and the littleover show are due to take place.i assume these are the 2 missing shows you refer to. further details awaited.
by the way the dave thornton talk on 23rd march at blaby village hall at 8pm is open to anyone.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

They were indeed the two shows I was referring to Kev.

In that case I shall have to grow more stuff.....much more stuff!

I shall be at the talk on the 23rd. I will be the one at the back booing and chucking bricks.