Search This Blog

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Leeks and onions

Today I spent a pleasant hour at Aylestone allotments in the company of my pal Peter Loseby and his good lady. I'd gone there to collect some exhibition leeks and onions that he had got for me from Dave Metcalfe who is the legendary leek grower and who has developed the Pendle strain named after the Pendle hill in Lancashire that overlooks his village. The Pendle strain of leeks has won many of the big shows in the last few years so I'm hopeful of having some cracking leeks this season.

I was most impressed with the set up at Aylestone and the community spirit and most of all by their trading hut which offers the chance to buy composts and fertilisers at much reduced prices. I took the opportunity to buy 38litres of vermiculite for just over a fiver...a bargain price which sets me up nicely for all my long root mixes this season.

7 comments:

Dan said...

Holy Friggin' Leeks Batman.
It always amazes me how top growers can grow such massive leek plants in such a small pot,so early,and they're not leggy,and it's been absolutely freezing lately.
Amazing.
Can you sort some out for me next year ? LOL !!!

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Well this guy has been at it rather a long time I guess so he should know what he's doing by now. I potted them all on last night and collared them and put them under lights in the greenhouse. No extra heat....the raiser has no heat in his greenhouse apparently although the light does throw out quite of bit of heat too.

If you want some leeks next season just send Dave Metcalfe a letter requesting some. He's a really nice fella by all accounts. They cost me £20 for 12 so not cheap. Failing that I have a local source who I have got some from in the past but he keeps forgetting....hence why I had to make a last minute request to Dave Metcalfe.

Cheers
Simon

p.s. fecking cold here this morning again. Took 20 mins to defrost the car.

Dan said...

If It's the same Dave Metcalf as featured in the latest NVS mag (I assume it is....derrrr) then he's only a 30 min drive away for me.
I will defo give him a call.
£20 for 12 is good value,I've just spent the best part of £300 to construct my new Pumpkin Patch thanks to you sending me those seeds.
P.S talking of your car how did you get on regarding your prang with the other Metcalf when you were over here ?
I felt really guilty for about 2 minutes after that.
Merci.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Git.....I'm now very glad you have spent that much although I never bloody forced you! LOL

I decided not to put a claim all things considered. It would have been my 3rd one in that car so it wouldn't have looked good. It wasn't that bad so I'll have to stand the cost myself. A pal knows someone in the trade who'll do it on the sly.

I blame you entirely however! Your shite coffee made me swerve! LOL

Simon (Smithyveg) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dan said...

3rd claim !!,it was only on a 59 plate.
Shite coffee my arse.
I think I know what the problem is.
I've found something that'll keep you out of trouble from now on.
http://www.dcp-shop.co.uk/buy-car-accessories/product_info.php?products_id=13043

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

58 plate actually!