Search This Blog

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Secondary growth on carrots

At this time of year you need to be checking your carrots (this affects mainly long carrots) for secondary shoots growing from the crown. If these are left on the carrot usually grows into a strange oval shape at the top making it useless for showing. By exposing the top of the carrot (he's off again Ethel!) the shoot needs to be carefully snapped off leaving a small scar on the shoulder of the carrot. Come showtime this scar will not be noticeable.














Here is the same carrot with the shoot removed. The sand is drawn back around the shoulder and the area dusted with Forate insecticide.

1 comment:

Dan said...

I wondered what that was.
I thought I had another seedling emerging and tried to pull it out until I realised it was attached to the main carrot.
I will take your advice and give my carrots the snip tomorrow.
To be honest they are looking pretty shite compared to the stumps.
Only about 1/2" wide at the top ,where as the sweet candles are a good inch+ wide and actually shoving the sand upwards.
Cheers,Dan