Search This Blog

Saturday, July 11, 2009

8oz or 250g onions***

I've picked a few Vento and Tasco onions for the small onion classes***. I have a cardboard template cut to 3.25" which I put over the bulb at it's widest point. Experience has told me this diameter is when Tasco is about 8oz and as Vento is a similar type of onion I'm using it for them also. I cut the roots off and the top to just above the first leaf joint. The onion may well measure over 8oz at this point but when the top dries out it should be bang on 8oz.














However, as you can see it aint quite that simple when it comes to getting a matching set. The two onions here are the same diameter but as you can see quite different in profile. The one on the right is deeper and may well weigh over 8oz because of that. The judge will pick each onion up so even though they look the same from above he will find ways of downpointing your dish in comparison to other sets.














***read your show schedule and beware. 8oz is actually 227g.

No comments: