Search This Blog

Friday, April 17, 2009

I'm off to the Lakes.....

.......walking this weekend, as it will be my last chance before the growing season really kicks into gear. This is where all my show veg and flowers are at thus far in the season.

Tomato Cederico. 1st 6 seedlings 2” high. . A 2nd batch was be sown 2 weeks ago and has now germinated.

CeleryRed Star. I have a tray of 12 small plants still in my conservatory. I hope to put these in the greenhouse soon.

Large onions. (bought-in plants) in greenhouse. Still very small. There won’t be any whoppers this year.

Shallots .Were all planted 3 weeks ago…..Dave Thornton’s 12 bulbs, my own reselected shite and some Longor . All growing away very well indeed.

Onion sets Setton. 25+ plants were planted out last weekend. Another couple of trays to be planted up the ‘allotment’.

Onion sets Red Baron. 25+ plants were planted out 3 weekends ago. Parsnips Pinnacle. All through bar two of the 45 stations.

Long carrots. Sown 12 days ago but not through as yet.

Stump carrots Sweet Candle. 22 stations sown last weekend. Another 50 to do as soon as possible.

Red cabbage Maestro. Tray of 24 pricked out 4 weeks ago. Greenhouse. Not growing well at all however so another pot has been sown a week ago and is ready for pricking out.

Green cabbage Globemaster. Tray of 24 pricked out 2 weeks ago. Greenhouse.

Brussel Abacus. Tray of 24 pricked out 4 weeks ago. Greenhouse. As with red cabbage these are looking very poor.

My potatoes (Winston/Kestrel/Nadine/Malin) are chitting in trays in my garage and will go in from next weekend.

My dahlia tubers are all in boxes of peat and the first shoots are showing on some.

I also have several capsicum (Big Jim and Luteus) plants pricked out, aubergines (Black Beauty) and leeks (Musselburgh) for the pot. 2 nights ago I sowed the pumpkin seed that I aquired from a 1341lb European record holder.

No comments: